Medical Assistant Interview Questions & Answers
Medical assistants complete administrative and clinical tasks in hospitals, offices of physicians, and other healthcare facilities.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Analytical skills
- Technical skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for medical assistant positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your analytical skills:
Medical assistants must be able to understand and follow medical charts and diagnoses. They may be required to code a patient’s medical records for billing purposes.
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Medical assistants need to be precise when taking vital signs or recording patient information. Physicians and insurance companies rely on accurate records.
Why interviewers are interested in your interpersonal skills:
Medical assistants need to be able to discuss patient information with other medical personnel, such as physicians. They often interact with patients who may be in pain or in distress, so they need to be able to act in a calm and professional manner.
Why interviewers are interested in your technical skills:
Medical assistants should be able to use basic clinical instruments so they can take a patient’s vital signs, such as heart rate and blood pressure.
Medical Assistant Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Medical Assistant Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Medical Assistant Behavioral Interview Questions
- Have you developed a system to minimize the risk of errors in your work?
- What is your experience with creating and maintaining electronic health software?
- Give me an example of the front-office obligations you are experienced in handling. Are you experienced in taking calls and greeting patients and family?
- What is your experience with analyzing client histories and checking patient vitals? Can you give me an example of how you ensure that a patient gets the care they need?
- Are your certifications (i.e., CPR, AED) up to date? If not, (when) are you planning to renew them? What additional training could help you become a better medical assistant?
- Describe a challenging situation with a patient. How did you handle it?
- Tell me about a time when you successfully shared a difficult piece of information with a colleague.
- Give me an example of a time you had to deal with a complaining patient. What happened, and how did you resolve it?
- Describe a successful teamwork experience. What made it a success?
- Tell me how you protect the rights and confidentiality requirements of patients.
- How would you go about drawing blood on a patient who has a fear of needles? Can you give me an example?