Firefighter Interview Questions & Answers
Firefighters control and put out fires and respond to emergencies where life, property, or the environment is at risk.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Decision-making skills
- Physical stamina
- Physical strength
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for firefighter positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Firefighters communicate conditions at an emergency scene to other firefighters and to emergency-response crews.
Why interviewers are interested in your compassion:
Firefighters, like EMT’s and paramedics, need to provide emotional support to those in emergency situations.
Why interviewers are interested in your courage:
Firefighters’ daily job duties involve dangerous situations, such as entering a burning building.
Why interviewers are interested in your decision-making skills:
Firefighters must be able to make quick and difficult decisions in an emergency. The ability to make good decisions under pressure could potentially save someone’s life.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical stamina:
Firefighters may have to stay at disaster scenes for long periods of time to rescue and treat victims. Fighting fires requires prolonged use of strength.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical strength:
Firefighters must be strong enough to carry heavy equipment and move debris at an emergency site. They also carry victims who are injured or cannot walk.
Firefighter Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Firefighter Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Firefighter Behavioral Interview Questions
- What is the most challenging situation you have faced in your career as a firefighter?
- Give me an example of a time you worked successfully as part of a team. What was your contribution?
- Tell me about a recent time you had to perform under pressure. How did you handle the situation?
- Describe a time you followed strict guidelines to complete a task.
- Tell me about a time you made a mistake. What happened? How did you rectify your mistake?
- Give me an example of a time you went above and beyond to get the job done.
- Describe a time you had a disagreement with a colleague. How did you handle the situation?
- Tell me about a time you worked as part of a team to help someone in distress.
- How do you manage your time? Can you give me an example?
- Give me an example of a difficult decision you had to make in your work. How did you handle it?