Insurance Underwriter Interview Questions & Answers
Insurance underwriters evaluate insurance applications and decide whether to provide insurance and under what terms.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Decision-making skills
- Attention to detail
- Analytical skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Math skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for insurance underwriter positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills that you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why the interviewer is interested in your analytical skills:
Underwriters must be able to evaluate information from a variety of sources and solve complex problems.
Why the interviewer is interested in your decision-making skills:
The core function of an underwriter is making decisions, such as whether to offer insurance coverage and at what level to set premiums.
Attention to detail
Why the interviewer is interested in your attention to detail:
Underwriters must pay attention to detail because each individual item on an insurance application can affect the coverage decision.
Why the interviewer is interested in your interpersonal skills:
Underwriters need good communication and interpersonal skills because much of their work involves dealing with other people, such as insurance agents.
Related: What Does an Insurance Advisor Do?
Why the interviewer is interested in your math skills:
Determining the probability of losses on an insurance policy and calculating appropriate premiums require mathematical ability.
Insurance Underwriter Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Insurance Underwriter Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Insurance Underwriter Behavioral Interview Questions
- How do you determine the probability of losses on an insurance policy?
- What types of projects have you been involved in? How do they relate to the position?
- Describe a time you had to gather information from multiple sources. How did you determine which information was relevant?
- Give me an example of how your judgment prevented losses for your organization in the past.
- Walk me through the process that you follow when reviewing a new application.
- Tell me about a time you had to assess and compile a quote within a tight deadline. What was your approach?
- Tell me how you stay up-to-date on existing laws and regulations.
- As an insurance underwriter, you will often work with co-signers. If you had a different opinion on a specific case, how would you handle it?
- Tell me more about the software programs you are familiar with and how they help you.
- Specific information on particular clients could be scarce at times. What would you do if you were unable to find essential data about someone’s finances?
- Tell me about a specific conflict that you had to deal with in your previous underwriting position.
- What are the specific risks that would make you deny insurance?
- Tell me how you plan, organize, and prioritize your work.
- If an advisor is desperately trying to rush an important case and calls you directly to discuss, would you make time or, depending on your workflow, get back to them later?
- Tell me about a successful teamwork experience as an insurance underwriter. What made it a success?