Meeting, Convention & Event Planner Interview Questions & Answers
Meeting, convention, and event planners arrange all aspects of events and professional gatherings.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Negotiation skills
- Organizational skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Interpersonal skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for meeting, convention, and event planner positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Meeting, convention, and event planners exchange information with clients, suppliers, and event staff. They must have excellent written and oral communication skills to express the needs of their clients.
Why interviewers are interested in your interpersonal skills:
Meeting, convention, and event planners must establish and maintain positive relationships with clients and suppliers.
Why interviewers are interested in your negotiation skills:
Meeting, convention, and event planners must be able to secure quality products and services at reasonable prices for their clients.
Why interviewers are interested in your organizational skills:
Meeting, convention, and event planners must multitask, pay attention to details, and meet tight deadlines.
Why interviewers are interested in your problem-solving skills:
Meeting, convention, and event planners must be able to anticipate potential issues and prepare creative solutions that satisfy clients.
Meeting, Convention, and Event Planner Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Meeting, Convention, and Event Planner Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Meeting, Convention, and Event Planner Behavioral Interview Questions
- What skills do you think a meeting, convention or event planner should have to be successful?
- Walk me through your event planning work experience.
- Describe a time you had to deal with an unexpected challenge during an event. How did you resolve the issue?
- What software do you use in your daily work? Do you use specific organization tools?
- Tell me how you plan, organize, and prioritize your tasks.
- Describe a time you had to deal with a last-minute change when planning a meeting / convention / an event.
- What is your most successful planning experience so far? What did you do to make it a success?
- How do you measure the success of an event that you planned?
- Tell me about a time a convention or event you planned did not have the results you aimed for. What happened and what did you learn from it?
- What is the largest convention or event that you have orchestrated? Tell me about the details and activities you included to complement the theme.
- Tell me how you make sure you stay on budget for an event?
- Give me an example of a time you had to manage more than one event at a time. How did you ensure that all events were successful?
- What type of event or convention planning are you most interested in? Why?
- How would you choose a location for an event, meeting, or convention?
- Tell me how you manage stress as the date of a convention or event draws near.
- Describe a time you provided a creative solution to a challenge. What results did you get from your actions?