School & Career Counselor Interview Questions & Answers
School counselors help students develop the academic and social skills needed to succeed. Career counselors help people choose a path to employment.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Critical-thinking skills
- Communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Listening skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for school and career counselor positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your analytical skills:
School and career counselors interpret assessments to match interests and abilities with potential careers.
Why interviewers are interested in your compassion:
School and career counselors often work with people who are dealing with stressful and difficult situations, so they must be compassionate and empathize with their clients and students.
Why interviewers are interested in your interpersonal skills:
School and career counselors must be able to work with people of all backgrounds and personalities. They spend most of their time working directly with clients, students, or other professionals and need to form and maintain good working relationships with them.
Why interviewers are interested in your listening skills:
School and career counselors need good listening skills. They need to give their full attention to students and clients in order to understand their problems.
Why interviewers are interested in your speaking skills:
School and career counselors must communicate effectively with clients and students. They should express ideas and information in a way that their clients and students understand easily.
School & Career Counselor Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of School & Career Counselor Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of School & Career Counselor Behavioral Interview Questions
- What are the first steps you take when counseling a new client?
- Give me an example of a time you successfully coached and mentored someone. What was your approach, and what improvements did you see in their skills or knowledge?
- What is the most challenging part of this job for you?
- Walk me through your process of counseling clients to help them progress.
- What do you consider your biggest accomplishment as a school counselor (or career counselor)?
- Do you use aptitude tests to help your clients? If so, which ones?
- Say you have a client who feels constrained by the wishes of his/her family; how would you help or advise them?
- How would you counsel a student who has failed an important class?
- As a career counselor, how would you advise an established professional to make the right career move (or switch professions)?
- Which tools do you use as a career counselor to find the right career for your clients?