Computer Programmer Interview Questions & Answers
Computer programmers write and test code that allows computer applications and software programs to function properly.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Attention to detail
- Analytical skills
- Troubleshooting skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for computer programmer positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your analytical skills:
Computer programmers must understand complex instructions in order to create computer code.
Why interviewers are interested in your level of concentration:
Programmers must focus their attention on their work as they write code or check existing code for errors.
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Computer programmers must closely examine the code they write because a small mistake can affect the entire computer program.
Why interviewers are interested in your troubleshooting skills:
An important part of a programmer’s job is to check the code for errors and fix any they find.
Computer Programmer Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Computer Programmer Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Computer Programmer Behavioral Interview Questions
- Tell me about the first programming language you learned. How did you get started?
- What do you enjoy most about programming? What programming language do you prefer? Why?
- Tell me more about your personality and skills. How can they contribute to our team?
- How do you make sure that your programming and technical knowledge stays up to date?
- What programming languages can you work with? Walk me through your experience with them.
- Tell me about a time you had to perform in a high-pressure situation. How did you handle it?
- What do you consider the hardest part of working as a computer programmer?
- Tell me about the most challenging project you have worked on. How did you handle it?
- What is your biggest accomplishment as a computer programmer?
- What is the first step you take when you create something new?
- In your opinion, do computer programmer positions require teamwork? Why?
- What is the most recent skill that you acquired?
- Describe your ideal work environment.
- Walk me through your software development process.
- Describe to me how you prioritize your work.
- What is your understanding of ‘X’ (insert job required knowledge)?