Computer Support Specialist Interview Questions & Answers
Computer support specialists provide help and advice to computer users and organizations.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Problem-solving skills
- Customer-service skills
- Speaking skills
- Listening skills
- Writing skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for computer support specialist positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your customer service skills:
Computer support specialists must be patient and sympathetic. They often help people who are frustrated with the software or hardware they are trying to use.
Learn more about customer-service interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in your listening skills:
Support workers must be able to understand the problems that their customers are describing and know when to ask questions to clarify the situation.
Related: What Does a Customer Advocate Do?
Why interviewers are interested in your problem-solving skills:
Support workers must identify both simple and complex computer problems, analyze them, and solve them.
Learn more about problem-solving interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in your speaking skills:
Support workers must describe the solutions to computer problems in a way that a nontechnical person can understand.
Why interviewers are interested in your writing skills:
Strong writing skills are useful for preparing instructions and email responses for employees and customers, as well as for real-time web chat interactions.
Computer Support Specialist Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Computer Support Specialist Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Computer Support Specialist Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- Walk me through a situation where you had to identify a problem. How did you analyze and solve it?
- What made you get into technical support?
- Tell me about your approach to describing solutions to a computer problem to a non-technical person.
- As a computer support specialist, do you consider technical knowledge or customer service more important? Why?
- What is the first step you take in the troubleshooting process?
- Give me an example of a time you went above and beyond to help a customer.
- Besides the ability to understand specific technology, what do you consider the most important skills for a computer support specialist?
- Tell me how your skills qualify you to work in technical support.
- What training and development could help you become a better computer support specialist?
- Which IT error tracking system do you have the most experience working with?
- Tell me about a time you had to gather information from multiples sources. How did you determine which information was relevant?
- Which of your prior work experience will help you most in this position?
- What did you do in the last year to improve your knowledge as a computer support specialist?
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.