Network and Computer Systems Administrator Interview Questions & Answers
Network and computer systems administrators are responsible for the day-to-day operation of computer networks.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Multitasking skills
- Analytical skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for network and computer systems administrator positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your analytical skills:
Administrators need to evaluate networks and systems to make sure that they perform reliably and to anticipate new requirements as customers’ needs change.
Related: What Does an IT Intern Do?
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Administrators must describe problems and their solutions to non-IT workers.
Learn more about communication interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in your multitasking skills:
Administrators may have to work on many problems and tasks at the same time.
Why interviewers are interested in your problem-solving skills:
Administrators must quickly resolve problems that arise with computer networks.
Learn more about problem-solving interview questions and how to answer them!
Network and Computer Systems Administrator Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Network and Computer Systems Administrator Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Network and Computer Systems Administrator Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- What is the most challenging network or system issue you have had to solve? What actions did you take?
- How do you make sure your network and computer systems knowledge stays up to date?
- What types of networks do you have the most experience working with?
- What are the first steps you take when securing a computer network?
- Describe a time you went above and beyond to get the job done.
- What are the first steps you take when you begin troubleshooting?
- What tools do you use in your daily work?
- How has your previous network administration job prepared you for this position?
- What is your understanding of ‘X’ (insert required job knowledge)?
- How do you prevent ‘X’ from happening (insert required job knowledge)?
- What network (or computer systems) administrator tasks do you enjoy the most?
- How do you explain complex problems to colleagues that do not have a technical background?
- Walk me through your experience in operating systems, software, and hardware that you have used.
- What has been the most challenging project you have worked on?
- What monitoring tools and approaches do you prefer using in your work as a network (or computer systems) administrator?
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.