Software Developer Interview Questions & Answers
Software developers create applications or systems that run on a computer or another device.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Creative skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Analytical skills
- Interpersonal skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for software developer positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your analytical skills:
Developers must analyze users’ needs and then design software to meet those needs.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Developers must be able to give clear instructions to others working on a project. They must also explain to their customers how the software works and answer any questions that arise.
Creative thinking skills
Why interviewers are interested in your creative skills:
Developers are the creative minds behind new computer software.
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Developers often work on many parts of an application or system at the same time and must therefore be able to concentrate and pay attention to detail.
Why interviewers are interested in your interpersonal skills:
Software developers must be able to work well with others who contribute to designing, developing, and programming successful software.
Why interviewers are interested in your problem-solving skills:
Because developers are in charge of software from beginning to end, they must be able to solve problems that arise throughout the design process.
Software Developer Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Software Developer Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Software Developer Behavioral Interview Questions
- Walk me through the types of projects that you have worked on.
- What programming languages do you use?
- Describe your process of developing a project, from requirements to delivery.
- What kind of developments are you currently working on?
- Tell me about a tough software problem and how you solved it. What actions did you take?
- Walk me through your process to test and find bugs in an application.
- Tell me about a time you had to make a critical decision during a project. What happened and how did you manage it?
- Describe a time a member on your team struggled and you proactively reached out to help.
- What is your process to diagnose and resolve an issue you encounter in your development?
- Tell me about your experience working as part of an Agile software development process.
- What is your understanding of ‘X’ (insert job required knowledge)?
- Tell me about your experience with creating technical documentation of your products.
- How much are you coding on a daily basis? Describe your work routine.
- What qualities do you have that would help you in this software development job?
- Tell me about the tools that you use to keep track of requirements.
- Describe a time you failed. What happened? What did you learn from it?
- Tell me about a rewarding teamwork experience.
- Tell me about some of the projects that you have worked on. How did your involvement affect the outcome?