Construction & Building Inspector Interview Questions & Answers
Construction and building inspectors ensure that construction meets building codes and ordinances, zoning regulations, and contract specifications.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Physical stamina
- Attention to detail
- Mechanical knowledge
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for construction and building inspector positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Inspectors must be able to explain the problems they discover and to write a report that clearly describes their findings.
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Inspectors thoroughly examine many different construction activities. They must pay close attention so as not to overlook any details.
Why interviewers are interested in your mechanical knowledge:
Inspectors use a variety of testing equipment to check complex systems and must therefore understand how the systems operate.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical stamina:
Inspectors are frequently on their feet and often climb and crawl through attics and other tight spaces. As a result, they should be physically fit.
Construction and Building Inspector Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Construction & Building Inspector Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Construction & Building Inspector Behavioral Interview Questions
- How do you assess the safety of a construction site?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with a client that did not accept your decision.
- Walk me through your education and certification.
- Tell me about a time you used your own creativity to make an inspection process more efficient.
- Do you have a system to find irregularities with construction design and measurement?
- Give me an example of a time you demonstrated an eye for detail.
- What do you think are essential skills for a construction or building inspector to be successful?
- Verbal and written communication is essential for a building inspector. Would you say you are a better written or verbal communicator?
- Describe a good construction (or building) inspector that you have dealt with in the past. What made him/her good in his/her job?
- What is the most relevant job experience on your resume?