Adult Literacy & High School Equivalency Diploma Teacher Interview Questions & Answers
Adult literacy and high school equivalency diploma teachers instruct adults in basic skills, such as reading and speaking English. They also help students earn their high school equivalent diploma.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Cultural sensitivity
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for adult literacy and high school equivalency diploma teacher positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Adult literacy and high school equivalency teachers must collaborate with other teachers and program administrators. In addition, they must explain concepts in terms that students can understand.
Why interviewers are interested in your cultural sensitivity:
Teachers work with students from a variety of cultural, educational, and economic backgrounds. They must be respectful of their students’ backgrounds and be understanding of their concerns.
Why interviewers are interested in your ability to stay patient:
Working with students of different abilities and backgrounds can be difficult. Teachers must be patient when students struggle to understand the material.
Why interviewers are interested in your resourcefulness:
Teachers must be able to think on their feet and find ways to keep students engaged in learning. They may have to change their methods of instruction to address the different needs of their students.
Adult Literacy & High School Equivalency Diploma Teacher Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Adult Literacy & High School Equivalency Diploma Teacher Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Adult Literacy & High School Equivalency Diploma Teacher Behavioral Interview Questions
- Tell me about the best lesson you have delivered as a teacher. What made it successful?
- What qualities do you have that would help you on the job? Can you give an example of a time you successfully used this skill?
- Describe a time when you successfully shared a difficult piece of information.
- What do you consider your specialty?
- Would you describe yourself as an energetic and positive personality? Can you give me an example of a situation that demonstrates this?
- Tell me about the techniques you use to ensure that your students understand you.
- What experience do you have working with students from culturally diverse backgrounds?
- Describe to me how you help students who struggle to grasp what you are teaching. Can you give me an example?
- What skills do you think are essential for a teacher to succeed? Why?
- What do you consider your biggest accomplishment? Why?