High School Teacher Interview Questions & Answers
High school teachers teach academic lessons and various skills that students will need to attend college and to enter the job market.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for High School Teacher positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Teachers must share ideas with their students, other teachers, and school administrators, and staff. In addition, they need to discuss students’ progress with parents.
Learn more about communication interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in your levels of patience:
High school teachers must stay calm in difficult situations, such as when students struggle with material.
Why interviewers are interested in your resourcefulness:
High school teachers need to engage students in learning and adapt lessons to each student’s needs.
High School Teacher Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General High School Teacher Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific High School Teacher Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- What is your teaching philosophy? Can you give me an example?
- Tell me about your classroom management structure.
- What technology do you use in your classes?
- How do you ensure that you get to know more about your students in order to be most helpful to them?
- Give me an example of how you can help our school and students?
- What do you consider the most frustrating part about being a teacher?
- Tell me how you get your classroom ready for the first day of school.
- How do you evaluate your students? Can you give me an example?
- How would you describe your style of teaching?
- What do you consider the biggest challenge that students face in this day and age?
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.