Kindergarten & Elementary School Teacher Interview Questions & Answers
Kindergarten and elementary school teachers instruct young students in basic subjects in order to prepare them for future schooling.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Physical stamina
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Kindergarten & Elementary School Teacher positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Teachers need to discuss students’ needs with parents and administrators. They also need to be able to communicate the subject content to students in a manner in which they will understand.
Why interviewers are interested in your levels of patience:
Kindergarten and elementary school teachers must respond with patience when students struggle with material. Working with students of different abilities and backgrounds can be difficult.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical stamina:
Working with kindergarten- and elementary-age students can be tiring. Teachers need to be able to physically, mentally, and emotionally keep up with the students.
Why interviewers are interested in your resourcefulness:
Kindergarten and elementary school teachers must be able to get students engaged in learning. They also should be prepared to adapt their lessons to meet students’ needs.
Kindergarten & Elementary School Teacher Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Kindergarten & Elementary School Teacher Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Kindergarten & Elementary School Teacher Behavioral Interview Questions
- How would you describe your educational philosophy?
- What is your approach to developing lessons?
- How do you stay up to date on news and innovations in the field of education?
- Do you have a method to help parents prepare themselves and their child for kindergarten (or elementary school)?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with a child who had trouble staying on task.
- How would you rate your communication skills? Can you give an example of a time you used clear communication skills when needed?
- In your opinion, what is the most effective teaching method in a kindergarten (or elementary school)?
- How would you respond to a parent complaint about the education their child receives and your school?
- What do you consider the most challenging aspect of teaching young children?
- Give me an example of how you deal with disruptive students in your classroom.