Chef & Head Cook Interview Questions & Answers
Chefs and head cooks oversee the daily food preparation at restaurants and other places where food is served.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Time-management skills
- Leadership skills
- Business skills
- Physical stamina
- Sense of taste and smell
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for chef & head cook positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your business skills:
Executive chefs and chefs who run their own restaurant need to understand the restaurant business. They should know how to budget for supplies, set prices, and manage workers so that the restaurant is profitable.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Chefs must communicate their instructions clearly and effectively to staff so that customers’ orders are prepared correctly.
Why interviewers are interested in your creative skills:
Chefs and head cooks need to be creative in order to develop and prepare interesting and innovative recipes. They should be able to use various ingredients to create appealing meals for their customers.
Why interviewers are interested in your dexterity:
Chefs and head cooks need excellent dexterity, including proper knife techniques for cutting, chopping, and dicing.
Why interviewers are interested in your leadership skills:
Chefs and head cooks must have the ability to motivate kitchen staff and develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with them.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical stamina:
Chefs and head cooks often work long shifts and sometimes spend entire evenings on their feet, overseeing the preparation and serving of meals.
Sense of taste and smell
Why interviewers are interested in your sense of taste and smell:
Chefs and head cooks must have a keen sense of taste and smell in order to inspect food quality and to design meals that their customers will enjoy.
Why interviewers are interested in your time-management skills:
Chefs and head cooks must efficiently manage their time and the time of their staff. They ensure that meals are prepared correctly and that customers are served on time, especially during busy hours.
Chef & Head Cook Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Chef & Head Cook Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Chef & Head Cook Behavioral Interview Questions
- Where and how were you trained to be a chef? Did you go to culinary school / Do you hold any culinary certifications?
- Are you a team player? Give me an example of a rewarding teamwork experience.
- How would you describe your management style?
- How many employees currently report to you as a chef?
- What is your specialty as a chef/head cook?
- What is your favorite dish to cook? Why?
- Tell me what you would change about our current menu?
- Describe your proudest moment as a chef?
- Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult employee.
- Describe the most challenging meals you have cooked in the past. What is your process of overcoming challenges?