Cook Interview Questions & Answers
Cooks prepare, season, and cook a wide range of foods.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Physical stamina
- Sense of taste and smell
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for cook positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your comprehension skills:
Cooks need to understand orders and follow recipes to prepare dishes correctly.
Why interviewers are interested in your dexterity:
Cooks should have excellent hand-eye coordination. For example, they need to use proper knife techniques for cutting, chopping and dicing.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical stamina:
Cooks spend a lot of time standing in one place, cooking food over hot stoves, and cleaning work areas.
Related: What Does a School Cafeteria Worker Do?
Sense of taste and smell
Why interviewers are interested in your communication sense of taste and smell:
Cooks must have a keen sense of taste and smell to prepare meals that customers enjoy.
Cook Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Cook Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Cook Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- Do you prefer working alone as a cook or as part of a team?
- If you suddenly had a lot of work to do while other cooks were not helping you out, how would you handle it?
- What would you do if you were asked to prepare a dish you have never prepared before.
- Tell me about your experience preparing specific entrees/sauces/etc.
- How do you ensure that you and other cooks always have adequate supplies during a rush?
- Tell me about a time a customer sent their food back. How did you respond to their criticism?
- Describe a time you had to handle a conflict with another kitchen staff member.
- Describe a time you helped a colleague finish a job on time.
- What do you do to stay punctual?
- Tell me about a time you went out of your way to please a customer.
- What is the most complicated dish you have ever prepared?
- Tell me what you would change about our current menu.
- Where and how were you trained to be a cook?
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.