Food & Beverage Serving and Related Worker Interview Questions & Answers
Food and beverage serving and related workers perform a variety of customer service, food preparation, and cleaning duties in eating and drinking establishments.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Customer-service skills
- Physical strength
- Physical stamina
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for food & beverage serving and related worker positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Food and beverage serving and related workers must listen carefully to their customers’ orders and relay them correctly to the kitchen staff so that the orders are prepared to the customers’ request.
Learn more about communication interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in your customer-service skills:
Foodservice establishments rely on good food and customer service to keep customers and succeed in a competitive industry. As a result, workers should be courteous and be able to attend to customers’ requests.
Learn more about customer-service interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in your physical stamina:
Food and beverage serving and related workers spend most of their work time standing, carrying heavy trays, cleaning work areas, and attending to customers’ needs.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical strength:
Food and beverage serving and related workers need to be able to lift and carry stock and equipment that can weigh up to 50 pounds.
Food & Beverage Serving and Related Worker Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Food & Beverage Serving and Related Worker Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Food & Beverage Serving and Related Worker Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- What do you enjoy most about working in Food & Beverage?
- What do you think are essential skills to succeed in Food & Beverage?
- How important is customer service to you? Can you give an example of a time you provide excellent customer service?
- Give me an example of a time you turned a customer complaint into a positive customer experience.
- What achievement are you most proud of working in F&B serving?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with an angry customer. How did you resolve the situation?
- Do you have experience making or serving ‘X’ [insert common dish served at the business you’re applying for a position]?
- What is your knowledge of wines and liquors?
- Are you flexible in your schedule? Are you able to work on evenings and weekends?
- Have you worked long shifts before? Are you comfortable with working on your feet all day?
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.