Waiter & Waitress Interview Questions & Answers
Waiters and waitresses take orders and serve food and beverages to customers in dining establishments.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for waiter & waitress positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Waiters and waitresses must listen carefully to customers’ specific requests, ask questions, and relay the information to the kitchen staff so that orders are prepared to the customers’ satisfaction.
Why interviewers are interested in your customer-service skills:
Waiters and waitresses spend most of their work time serving customers. They should be friendly and polite and be able to develop a rapport with customers.
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Waiters and waitresses must record customers’ orders accurately. They need to be able to recall the details of each order and match the food or drink orders to the correct customers.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical stamina:
Waiters and waitresses spend hours on their feet, carrying trays, dishes, and drinks.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical strength:
Waiters and waitresses need to be able to lift and carry trays or materials that can weigh up to 50 pounds.
Waiter & Waitress Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Waiter & Waitress Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Waiter & Waitress Behavioral Interview Questions
- Are you a team player? What’s your experience working in a restaurant environment where all team members need to support each other?
- What is your approach to upselling drinks and food to your customers?
- What specific skills do you have that can help our restaurant become more successful?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with a dissatisfied customer. How did you resolve the situation?
- Are you able to work on a flexible schedule? Give me an example of a time you were flexible in a work-related situation.
- Can you give me an example of a time you provided excellent customer service?
- Walk me through the steps you take when dealing with a customer complaint.
- If you see another waiter or waitress being rude to a customer whilst serving them, what would you do?
- Are you able to pick up work shifts with little notice when we are short-staffed?
- What do you know about our main competitors?
- Explain to me how you stay organized while taking orders.