Aircraft and avionics equipment mechanics and technicians repair and perform scheduled maintenance on aircraft.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Attention to detail
- Observational skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Aircraft & Avionics Equipment Mechanic and Technician positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Mechanics and technicians need to adjust airplane parts to exact specifications. For example, they often use precision tools to tighten wheel bolts to a specified tension.
Related: What Does a Ramp Agent Do?
Why interviewers are interested in your dexterity:
Mechanics and technicians need to coordinate the movement of their fingers and hands in order to grasp, manipulate, or assemble parts.
Why interviewers are interested in your observational skills:
Mechanics and technicians must recognize engine noises, read gauges, and collect other information to determine whether an aircraft’s systems are working properly.
Why interviewers are interested in your strength levels:
Mechanics and technicians may carry or move heavy equipment or aircraft parts, climb on airplanes, balance, and reach without falling.
Aircraft & Avionics Equipment Mechanic and Technician Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Aircraft & Avionics Equipment Mechanic and Technician Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Aircraft & Avionics Equipment Mechanic and Technician Behavioral Interview Questions
- What is your specialty as an aircraft and avionics equipment mechanic (or technician)?
- Tell me about a time you thought out of the box to solve a problem at work.
- Do you consider yourself a strong team player? Can you give an example of a successful teamwork experience? What was your role?
- Tell me about a time you were involved in streamlining processes to make them more efficient and effective.
- Give me some examples of devices that you have successfully repaired, serviced, calibrated, or tested.
- Can you give me an example of how you diagnose problems when you do not have a manual? Where do you start?
- Are you able to perform under pressure? Can you give me an example of a time you had to?
- Can you walk me through your process of conducting routine inspection as required by regulations?
- Tell me about the procedures you use to inspect and examine specific aircraft components (such as hydraulic systems, landing gear, etc.).
- Give me an example of how you keep repair and maintenance logs and how you document preventive and corrective maintenance.