General Maintenance & Repair Worker Interview Questions & Answers
General maintenance and repair workers fix and maintain machines, mechanical equipment, and buildings.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Customer service skills
- Troubleshooting skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for General Maintenance & Repair Worker positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Customer service skills
Why interviewers are interested in your customer service skills:
These workers interact with customers on a regular basis. They need to be friendly and able to address customers’ questions.
Many repair and maintenance tasks, such as repairing small devices, connecting or attaching components, and using hand tools, require a steady hand and good hand-eye coordination.
Workers find, diagnose, and repair problems. They perform tests to figure out the cause of problems before fixing equipment.
General Maintenance & Repair Worker Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Maintenance & Repair Worker Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific General Maintenance & Repair Worker Behavioral Interview Questions
- Describe a time you thought outside of the box to solve a maintenance/repair problem.
- Tell me about the most challenging project you have worked on. What made it such a challenge? What did you learn from it?
- How would you deal with a situation where you disagreed with the approach of a coworker? Can you give me an example of how you handled such a situation in the past?
- What do you consider your specialty as a maintenance (or repair) worker? Can you give me an example?
- Are you able to perform under pressure? Can you give me an example?
- Tell me about the skills you think are essential for a maintenance (or repair) worker to succeed? Can you give me an example of how you have developed and use these skills?
- Give me some examples of how you troubleshoot problems with equipment.
- What types of maintenance or repairs do you enjoy doing the most? Can you give me some examples?
- How would you rate your customer service skills? Can you give me an example of a time you provided excellent customer service?
- What would you do if you could not identify the cause of a problem? Can you give me an example?
- What have you done to improve your knowledge or skillset in the last year? Can you give me an example?