Wind Turbine Technician Interview Questions & Answers
Wind turbine service technicians install, maintain, and repair wind turbines.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Physical strength
- Attention to detail
- Physical stamina
- Troubleshooting skills
- Mechanical skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Wind Turbine Technician positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Windtechs rely on proper communication with their coworkers in order to perform their duties safely and effectively.
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Windtechs must maintain records of all of the services they perform. Turbine maintenance requires precise measurements, a strict order of operations, and numerous safety procedures.
Why interviewers are interested in your mechanical skills:
Windtechs must understand and be able to maintain and repair all mechanical, hydraulic, braking, and electrical systems of a turbine.
Related: What Does a Solar Electrician Do?
Why interviewers are interested in your physical stamina:
Windtechs must be able to climb to the tops of turbines, often with tools and equipment. Some tower ladders can be 260 feet high or taller.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical strength:
Windtechs must lift heavy equipment, parts, and tools, some of which weigh in excess of 50 pounds.
Why interviewers are interested in your troubleshooting skills:
Windtechs must diagnose and repair problems. When a turbine performs abnormally, technicians must determine the cause and make the necessary repairs.
Wind Turbine Technician Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Wind Turbine Technician Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Wind Turbine Technician Behavioral Interview Questions
- Tell me about your ability to work under pressure. Can you give me an example?
- Describe a time you went above and beyond to get the job done. What did you learn from that situation?
- When you’re starting a new job, what are the first steps you take to ensure you perform your duties safely and effectively?
- Tell me about a time you failed. What happened, and what did you learn?
- Are you a team player? Can you tell me about a recent rewarding teamwork experience? What was your role?
- How would you rate your adaptability skills? Can you give an example of how you adapt quickly to changing situations?
- Tell me how you plan, organize and prioritize your workdays. Can you give me an example?
- When a turbine performs abnormally, what are the steps you take to determine the cause? How do you create a repair plan?
- Which skills do you think are essential for a wind turbine technician to succeed in their job? Can you give me an example of a time you used those skills?
- Tell me about a time you were involved in streamlining processes to make them more efficient and effective.