Financial Manager Interview Questions & Answers
Financial managers create financial reports, direct investment activities and develop plans for the long-term financial goals of their organization.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Analytical skills
- Math skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Financial Manager positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your analytical skills:
To assist executives in making decisions, financial managers need to evaluate data and information that affects their organization.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Financial managers must be able to explain and justify complex financial transactions.
Learn more about communication interview questions and how to answer them!
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
In preparing and analyzing reports, such as balance sheets and income statements, financial managers must be precise and attentive to their work in order to avoid errors.
Why interviewers are interested in your math skills:
Financial managers need strong skills in certain branches of mathematics, including algebra. Ability to understand international finance and complex financial documents also is important.
Why interviewers are interested in your organizational skills:
Because financial managers deal with a range of information and documents, they must have structures in place to be effective in their work.
Learn more about organizational skill interview questions and how to answer them!
Financial Manager Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Financial Manager Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Financial Manager Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- Give me an example of a time you had to perform under pressure, such as a tight deadline. What steps did you take to make it?
- Describe your methods to avoid errors when recording and examining financial documentation.
- How do you motivate your team when needed? Can you give me an example?
- What is the most significant financial plan you have created? What was the outcome of your plan?
- How do you recognize and reward high-performing team managers?
- Tell me about a time you had to resolve a conflict in the workplace. How did you deal with it?
- Describe a time you implemented a new strategy to increase your team’s performance.
- Give me a recent example of a time you showed initiative regarding a financial matter.
- Describe a time you thought outside of the box to solve a problem to ensure goals were met.
- Give me an example of a project that you worked on that demonstrates your ability to manage time effectively.
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.