Food Service Manager Interview Questions & Answers
Food service managers are responsible for the daily operation of restaurants or other establishments that prepare and serve food and beverages.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Customer-service skills
- Organizational skills
- Leadership skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Business skills
- Physical stamina
- Attention to detail
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Food Service Manager positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your business skills:
Food service managers, especially those who run their own restaurant, must understand all aspects of the restaurant business. They should know how to budget for supplies, set prices, and manage workers to ensure that the restaurant is profitable.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Food service managers must give clear orders to staff and be able to communicate effectively with employees and customers.
Learn more about communication interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in your customer-service skills:
Food service managers must be courteous and attentive when dealing with patrons. Satisfying customers’ dining needs is critical to business success and ensures customer loyalty.
Learn more about customer-service interview questions and how to answer them!
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Managers deal with many different types of activities. They ensure that there is enough food to serve to customers, they maintain financial records, and they ensure that the food meets health and safety standards.
Related: What Does a Movie Theater Usher Do?
Why interviewers are interested in your leadership skills:
Managers must establish good working relationships to maintain a productive work environment. Carrying out this task may involve motivating workers and leading by example.
Learn more about leadership interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in your organizational skills:
Food service managers keep track of many different schedules, budgets, and staff. Their job becomes more complex as the size of the restaurant or food service facility increases.
Learn more about organizational interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in your physical stamina:
Managers, especially those who run their own restaurant, often work long shifts and sometimes spend entire evenings on their feet helping to serve customers.
Why interviewers are interested in your problem-solving skills:
Managers need to be able to resolve personnel issues and customer-related problems.
Learn more about problem-solving interview questions and how to answer them!
Food Service Manager Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Food Service Manager Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Food Service Manager Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- What are your views on customer service? Can you give me a recent example of a time you provided excellent customer service?
- How would you deal with a food service employee who has been late for several work shifts?
- Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer. What happened? How did you handle it?
- How do you ensure that food service employees stay motivated? Can you give me an example?
- Tell me about a time you made a mistake as a food service manager. What happened, and what did you learn from it?
- How would you deal with a situation where employees complain about broken equipment?
- Give me an example of what skills you look for when interviewing and hiring new food service employees? Why?
- What is your approach to delegating tasks to your team members? Can you give me an example?
- How would you address a situation where a customer is dissatisfied with their meal? Can you give me an example?
- What measures do you take to ensure compliance with food health and safety regulations?
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.