IT Manager Interview Questions & Answers
IT Managers, also called computer and information systems managers, plan, coordinate, and direct computer-related activities in an organization.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Organizational skills
- Decision-making skills
- Business skills
- Analytical skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Computer & Information Systems Manager positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your analytical skills:
IT managers must analyze problems and consider and select the best ways to solve them.
Why interviewers are interested in your business skills:
IT managers must develop and implement strategic plans to reach the goals of their organizations.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
IT managers must explain their work to top executives and give clear instructions to their subordinates.
Why interviewers are interested in your decision-making skills:
Some IT managers must make important decisions about how to allocate resources in order to reach their organizations’ goals.
Why interviewers are interested in your leadership skills:
IT managers must lead and motivate IT teams or departments so that workers are efficient and effective.
Why interviewers are interested in your organizational skills:
Some IT managers must coordinate the work of several different IT departments to make the organization run efficiently.
IT Manager Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General IT Manager Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific IT Manager Behavioral Interview Questions
- Tell me about the most challenging project you have worked on as an IT manager. How did you handle it? What results did you get?
- Describe how you gather user and system requirements.
- How do you describe technical details to a non-technical person? Can you give me an example?
- Give me an example of a time you had to deal with a conflict between team members. How did you resolve it?
- Tell me about a time one of your team members was underperforming. How did you motivate them? What results did you get?
- The IT industry develops rapidly. How do you stay up to date with new trends and the latest market developments?
- Give me an example of how you have created and adjusted IT policies to comply with new standards.
- Tell me about a time you helped set up training programs for staff after a new system was integrated.
- Give me an example of how you plan, organize and prioritize your tasks on a typical workday. What tools do you use?
- Can you perform under pressure? How do you remain calm and productive when you’re working on multiple tasks at once?