Medical & Health Services Manager Interview Questions & Answers
Medical and health services managers plan, direct, and coordinate the business activities of healthcare providers.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Analytical skills
- Technical skills
- Attention to detail
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Medical & Health Services Manager positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your analytical skills:
Medical and health services managers must understand and follow current regulations and adapt to new laws.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
These managers must effectively communicate policies and procedures to other health professionals and ensure their staff’s compliance with new laws and regulations.
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Medical and health services managers must pay attention to detail. They might be required to organize and maintain scheduling and billing information for very large facilities, such as hospitals.
Why interviewers are interested in your interpersonal skills:
Medical and health services managers discuss staffing problems and patient information with other professionals, such as physicians and health insurance representatives.
Why interviewers are interested in your leadership skills:
These managers are often responsible for finding creative solutions to staffing or other administrative problems. They must hire, train, motivate, and lead staff.
Why interviewers are interested in your technical skills:
Medical and health services managers must stay up to date with advances in healthcare technology and data analytics. For example, they may need to use coding and classification software and electronic health record (EHR) systems as their facility adopt these technologies.
Medical & Health Services Manager Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Medical & Health Services Manager Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Medical & Health Services Manager Behavioral Interview Questions
- Describe a time you made a mistake at work. How did you rectify it?
- As a medical (or health services) manager, how would you describe your leadership style?
- Tell me about a time you had to overcome an obstacle or challenge in the workplace.
- How do you ensure that all policies and procedures are communicated effectively to other health professionals? Can you give me an example?
- What measures do you take to ensure that the staff works in compliance with (new) laws and regulations?
- How would you go about implementing a new policy for staff? Can you give me an example that demonstrates your communication and judgment skills?
- Give me an example of how you have added value in your previous/current position as a medical (or health services) manager.
- How do you plan and prioritize your work as medical (or health services) manager?
- What skills and traits do you think are essential for a medical (or health services) manager to be successful? Can you give me an example of how you use these skills in your work?
- Describe a time you had to perform under time pressure, such as a tight deadline. How did you make sure you made it??