Public Relations Manager & Fundraising Manager Interview Questions & Answers
Public relations managers (or PR Managers in short) direct the creation of materials that will enhance their employer or client’s public image. Fundraising managers coordinate campaigns that bring in donations for their organization.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Leadership skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Organizational skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Writing skills
- Speaking skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Public Relations & Fundraising Manager positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your interpersonal skills:
Public relations and fundraising managers deal with the public regularly; therefore, they must be friendly enough to build a rapport with and receive support from their media contacts and donors.
Why interviewers are interested in your leadership skills:
Managers often lead large teams of specialists or fundraisers and must be able to guide their activities.
Why interviewers are interested in your organizational skills:
Public relations and fundraising managers are often in charge of running several events at the same time, requiring superior organizational skills.
Why interviewers are interested in your problem-solving skills:
Managers sometimes must explain how the company or client is handling sensitive issues. They must use good judgment in what they report and how they report it.
Why interviewers are interested in your speaking skills:
Public relations and fundraising managers regularly speak for their organization. When doing so, they must be able to explain the organization’s position clearly.
Related: What Does a Lobbyist Do?
Why interviewers are interested in your writing skills:
Managers must be able to write well-organized and clear press releases and speeches. They must be able to succinctly present the key messages they want to get across in order to keep the attention of busy readers or listeners.
Public Relations Manager & Fundraising Manager Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Public Relations Manager & Fundraising Manager Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Public Relations Manager & Fundraising Manager Behavioral Interview Questions
- What do you consider your most successful public relations (or fundraising) campaign? Why? What made it a success?
- How would you deal with a situation where your client disagrees with your PR strategy? Can you give me an example?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with a PR crisis. How did you approach the situation? Which results did you get from your actions?
- Do you consider yourself a team player? Can you give me an example of a successful PR teamwork experience? What made it a success?
- Give me an example of how you train and mentor colleagues or team members.
- Tell me about successfully fundraising campaigns that you have successfully managed. What made it a success? What was your contribution?
- How would you boost team morale? Can you give me an example of how you motivated your team to perform their best when needed?
- Tell me how you would address someone in your team who is underperforming.
- Give me an example of your method and strategy to decide which marketing strategies are suitable for a project.
- What do you think are the best questions to ask a prospect at a donor dinner?