Sales Manager Interview Questions & Answers
Sales managers direct organizations’ sales teams.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Sales Manager positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your analytical skills:
Sales managers must collect and interpret complex data to target the most promising geographic areas and demographic groups and determine the most effective sales strategies.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Sales managers need to work with colleagues and customers, so they must be able to communicate clearly.
Why interviewers are interested in your customer-service skills:
When helping to make a sale, sales managers must listen and respond to the customer’s needs.
Why interviewers are interested in your leadership skills:
Sales managers must be able to evaluate how their sales staff performs and must develop strategies for meeting sales goals.
Sales Manager Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Sales Manager Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Sales Manager Behavioral Interview Questions
- Tell me about a time you had to work under a lot of pressure to meet a tight deadline. How did you manage?
- Give me an example of a time you had to motivate your team. What actions did you take, and which results did you get?
- What would you do if a team member misses their sales targets three months in a row? How would you ensure that they would get back on track?
- Describe the most challenging sale you ever made. What made it such a challenge? How did you close the sale?
- Give me an example of how you set goals, track progress, forecast results, and ensure your team’s performance.
- Tell me about a time you went above and beyond to get a job done.
- Give me an example of how you divide your time in a workweek to the various responsibilities of your job. How do you plan and organize your work?
- What CRM software are you familiar with? Give me an example of how you use CRM software to prioritize leads and develop marketing campaigns.
- Give me an example of how you have proved a process to reduce costs, improve efficiency or increase revenue.
- Describe a time you had to resolve a conflict between team members. What actions did you take? What results did you get?