Content Writer & Author Interview Questions & Answers
Content writers and authors develop written content for various types of media.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Adaptability skills
- Creative skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Social perceptiveness
- Writing skills
- Persuasion skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Writer & Author positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your adaptability skills:
Writers and authors need to be able to adapt to updates in software platforms and programs, including various content management systems(CMS).
Why interviewers are interested in your creative skills:
Writers and authors must be able to develop interesting plots, characters, or ideas for new stories.
Why interviewers are interested in your critical-thinking skills:
Writers and authors must be adept at understanding new concepts that they convey through writing.
Why interviewers are interested in your determination:
Writers and authors must have the drive and persevere to meet deadlines.
Why interviewers are interested in your persuasion:
Writers, especially those in advertising, must be able to convince others to feel a certain way about a good or service.
Why interviewers are interested in your social perceptiveness:
Writers and authors must understand how readers react to ideas to connect with their audience.
Why interviewers are interested in your writing skills:
Writers and authors must be able to write clearly and effectively to convey feelings and emotions and to communicate with readers.
Content Writer & Author Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Content Writer & Author Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Content Writer & Author Behavioral Interview Questions
- Give me an example of where you get your inspiration from as a writer or author.
- Describe a time you had to adapt to a change in project requirements. What happened, and how did you handle it?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with a challenging client.
- Give me an example of how you research your target audience before you write.
- How do you go about creating a content strategy for a brand or client? Can you give me an example?
- Walk me through your process of deciding what topics to write on. Where do you start? Can you give me an example?
- How do you ensure the credibility and accuracy of the information you use or quote in your pieces?
- Give me an example of how you work under pressure and meet deadlines as a technical writer.
- Describe a time you received negative criticism. What was it about? How did you handle it?
- Tell me about the content management systems you are familiar with. Which ones do you prefer? Why?
- Give me an example of how you plan, schedule, and prioritize your work as a writer.
- How do you evaluate the performance of content?
- What is your strategy to promote published content? Can you give me an example?
- Can you give me an example of your proofreading process? How do you minimize the risks of errors in your work?