Photographer Interview Questions & Answers
Photographers use their technical expertise, creativity, and composition skills to produce and preserve images.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Customer-service skills
- Business skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Artistic ability
- Computer skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Photographer positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your artistic ability:
Photographers capture their subjects in images, and they must evaluate the artistic quality of a photograph. Photographers need a “good eye”: the ability to use colors, shadows, shades, light, and distance to compose aesthetically pleasing photographs.
Why interviewers are interested in your business skills:
Photographers must plan marketing or advertising strategies, reach out to prospective clients, and anticipate seasonal employment.
Why interviewers are interested in your computer skills:
Most photographers do their own postproduction work and must be adept at using photo-editing software. They also use computers to maintain a digital portfolio.
Customer service skills
Why interviewers are interested in your customer service skills:
Photographers must understand the types of shots their clients want and agree on suitable alternatives for ideas that may be unworkable.
Learn more about customer service interview questions and how to answer them!
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Photographers must focus on details, especially in postproduction. In addition, photographers accumulate many photographs and must maintain them in an orderly fashion.
Why interviewers are interested in your interpersonal skills:
Photographers often take pictures of people. They must communicate and be flexible when working with clients in order to achieve the desired composition in a photograph.
Learn more about interpersonal skill interview questions and how to answer them!
Photographer Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Photographer Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Photographer Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- Can you give me an example of the type of research you perform before a shoot?
- Give me an example of the editing software that you consider essential for your work. What do you specifically like about it?
- Tell me about a time you had to respond to an unhappy client. How did you handle it?
- What is the most challenging project you have worked on as a photographer?
- Give me an example of a time you successfully added value to the artistic direction of a client.
- Do you consider yourself a detail-oriented person? Can you give me an example that demonstrates this?
- What do you consider your specialty as a photographer? Can you give me an example?
- Tell me about a time you had to work with a difficult client. How did you manage?
- Describe a time you made a mistake in your work. How did you fix it? What did you learn from it?
- How do you keep developing and educating yourself to become better in your work? Can you give me an example?
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.