Technical Writer Interview Questions & Answers
Technical writers prepare instruction manuals, how-to guides, journal articles, and other supporting documents to communicate complex and technical information more easily.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Technical Writer positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your critical-thinking skills:
Technical writers must be able to simplify complex, technical information for colleagues and consumers who have nontechnical backgrounds.
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Technical writers create instructions for others to follow. As a result, they must be precise about every step.
Why interviewers are interested in your imagination skills:
Technical writers must think about a procedure or product as if they are someone who does not have technical knowledge.
Why interviewers are interested in your teamwork skills:
Technical writers must be able to work well with other writers, designers, editors, illustrators, and the technical workers whose procedure or product they are explaining.
Why interviewers are interested in your technical skills:
Technical writers must be able to understand complex information. Technical writers may benefit from a background in fields such as engineering or science.
Why interviewers are interested in your writing skills:
Technical communicators must have excellent writing skills to be able to explain technical information clearly.
Technical Writer Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Technical Writer Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Technical Writer Behavioral Interview Questions
- Give me an example of how you work under pressure and meet deadlines as a technical writer.
- Have you developed a system to minimize the risk of errors in your work?
- Tell me about the typical obstacles you face as a technical writer. How do you overcome these obstacles?
- Give me an example of a time you worked on a technical writing assignment with a cross-functional team.
- Describe a challenging situation that you overcame as a technical writer. What did you learn from the situation?
- Tell me how you plan, organize and prioritize a typical workday.
- Describe the steps you take to stay updated on trends and industry news.
- Tell me about one of your more successful technical writing pieces. How do you define success as a technical writer?
- Give me an example of your experience with interviewing subject matter experts.
- Tell me about a time you received negative criticism. How did you handle it?