Police & Detective Interview Questions & Answers
Police officers protect lives and property. Detectives and criminal investigators gather facts and collect evidence of possible crimes.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Physical stamina
- Good judgment
- Physical strength
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Police & Detective positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Police and detectives must be able to speak with people and to express details in writing about an incident.
Why interviewers are interested in your empathy:
Police officers need to understand the perspectives of a variety of people in their jurisdiction and be willing to help the public.
Why interviewers are interested in good judgment:
Police and detectives must be able to determine the best way to solve an array of problems.
Why interviewers are interested in your leadership skills:
Police officers must be comfortable with being a highly visible member of their community, as the public looks to them for help in emergencies.
Why interviewers are interested in your perceptiveness:
Officers, detectives, and fish and game wardens must be able to anticipate people’s reactions and understand why they act a certain way.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical stamina:
Officers and detectives must be in good physical shape, both to pass required tests for entry into the field and to keep up with the daily rigors of the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical strength:
Police officers must be strong enough to physically apprehend suspects and to assist people in precarious situations.
Police & Detective Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Police & Detective Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Police & Detective Behavioral Interview Questions
- Give me an example of a time you went above and beyond to get the job done as a police officer or detective.
- How do you perform under pressure? Can you give me an example?
- Which additional training or development courses can help you become a better police officer or detective? How will they help you in your work?
- Tell me about the most challenging situation you faced in your work and how you overcame it.
- Give me an example of a successful teamwork experience. What was your contribution?
- How would you rate your leadership skills? Can you give me an example?
- What is your philosophy towards police and detective work?
- Give me an example of a time you made a mistake. What happened? How did you rectify your mistake?
- Which skills do you think are important for a police officer or detective? Can you tel me how you use these skills in your daily work?
- Tell me how you handle stressful situations. Can you give me an example?