Private Detective & Investigator Interview Questions & Answers
Private detectives and investigators search for information about legal, financial, and personal matters.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Decision-making skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Private Detective & Investigator positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Private detectives and investigators must listen carefully and ask appropriate questions when interviewing a person of interest.
Why interviewers are interested in your decision-making skills:
Private detectives and investigators must be able to think on their feet and make quick decisions based on the limited information that they have at a given time.
Why interviewers are interested in your inquisitiveness:
Private detectives and investigators must want to ask questions and search for the truth.
Why interviewers are interested in your patience:
Private detectives and investigators may have to spend long periods conducting surveillance while waiting for an event to occur. Investigations may take a long time, and they may not provide a resolution quickly—or at all.
Why interviewers are interested in your resourcefulness:
Private detectives and investigators must work persistently with whatever leads they have, no matter how limited, to determine the next step toward their goal. They sometimes need to anticipate what a person of interest will do next.
Private Detective & Investigator Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Private Detective & Investigator Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Private Detective & Investigator Behavioral Interview Questions
- How do you perform in stressful situations? Can you give me an example?
- Describe a challenge that you faced recently. How did you overcome it?
- How would you describe your investigative style?
- Give me an example of how you deal with conflicts and moral issues while performing an investigation.
- How do you guarantee confidentiality to your clients? Can you give me an example?
- How would you respond to a situation where the results of an investigation are discouraging? Can you give me an example?
- What skills should a good private detective or investigator possess? How do you use these skills in your work?
- Describe the most difficult client you ever had to work with. What made it difficult?
- Tell me about a time you had to share difficult results with a client. How did you approach the situation?
- When would you terminate an investigation prematurely? Can you give me an example of a time you had to make such a decision?