Cashier Interview Questions & Answers
Cashiers process payments from customers purchasing goods and services.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Customer-service skills
- Physical stamina
- Near vision
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Cashier positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Cashiers must pay attention to customers’ questions and explain pricing.
Learn more about communication interview questions and how to answer them!
Customer service skills
Why interviewers are interested in your customer service skills:
Cashiers must be courteous and friendly when helping customers.
Learn more about customer service interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in your dexterity:
Cashiers use their hands to operate registers and scan purchases.
Why interviewers are interested in your near vision:
Cashiers need to see well enough to scan items and process transactions accurately.
Why interviewers are interested in your patience:
Cashiers must be able to remain calm when interacting with customers.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical stamina:
Cashiers stand for long periods.
Cashier Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Cashier Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Cashier Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- Describe excellent customer service. Can you give me an example of a time you provided excellent customer service?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult or upset customer. What happened? How did you handle the situation?
- How would you deal with a situation where a customer asks you to go against the store’s policy?
- Give me an example of a time you went above and beyond to help a customer.
- Tell me about a time you turned an unhappy customer into a happy one. How did you do it?
- Describe a time when you demonstrated flexibility skills at work.
- Working as a cashier involves repetitive tasks. How do you stay focused while on the job? Can you give me an example?
- How would you deal with a situation where a customer has a question that you do not know the answer to? What steps do you take?
- Describe a time you made a mistake. How did you fix it?
- A customer approaches you to return an item for a refund. What procedure do you follow for this process?
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.