Insurance Sales Agent Interview Questions & Answers
Insurance sales agents contact potential customers and sell one or more types of insurance.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Initiative taking skills
- Analytical skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Insurance Sales Agent positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your analytical skills:
Insurance sales agents must evaluate the needs of each client to determine the appropriate insurance policy.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Insurance sales agents must be able to communicate effectively with customers by listening to their requests and suggesting suitable policies.
Initiative Taking skills
Why interviewers are interested in your initiative-taking skills:
Insurance sales agents need to actively seek out new customers in order to maintain a flow of commissions.
Why interviewers are interested in your self-confidence:
Insurance sales agents should be confident when making “cold” calls (calls to prospective customers whom they have not contacted before). They must speak clearly and persuasively and maintain their composure if rejected.
Related: What Does an Insurance Advisor Do?
Insurance Sales Agent Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Insurance Sales Agent Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Insurance Sales Agent Behavioral Interview Questions
- Give me an example of how you differentiate yourself from other insurance sales agents. Can you give me an example?
- What do you consider your most successful sale? Why?
- Walk me through the strategy you use to get a client’s attention. Can you give me an example?
- How would you clarify specific aspects of policies to (potential) clients who don’t understand them? Can you give me an example?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with an upset or dissatisfied client. How did you handle the situation?
- Give me a couple of examples of ways you build trust with your clients.
- Can you explain to me how you personalize the process of selling insurance to a client?
- Do you have experience using Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software? Which ones do you prefer? Why?
- How do you show the customer that they are important and valued?
- Can you tell me which upselling techniques you usually use as an insurance sales agent?
- What are the typical criteria when choosing the right insurance policy for a client?
- What insurance plans are you familiar with? Can you give me an example?