Financial Services Sales Agent Interview Questions & Answers
Securities sales agents, commodities sales agents, and financial services sales agents connect buyers and sellers in financial markets.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Customer service skills
- Decision-making skills
- Initiative taking skills
- Math skills
- Attention to detail
- Analytical skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Securities, Commodities, and Financial Services Sales Agent positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your analytical skills:
To judge the profitability of potential deals, securities, commodities, and financial services sales agents must have strong analytical skills. This includes computer programming skills which they use to analyze financial products.
Why interviewers are interested in your customer-service skills:
Securities, commodities, and financial services sales agents must be persuasive and make clients feel comfortable with the agent’s recommendations.
Why interviewers are interested in your decision-making skills:
Investment banking traders must make split-second decisions, with large sums of money at stake.
Related: What Does a Trading Assistant Do?
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Investment bankers must pay close attention to the details of initial public offerings and mergers and acquisitions because small changes can have large consequences.
Why interviewers are interested in your initiative-taking skills:
Securities, commodities, and financial services sales agents must create their own client base by making “cold” sales calls to people to whom they have not been referred and to people not expecting the call.
Why interviewers are interested in your math skills:
Securities, commodities, and financial services sales agents need to be familiar with mathematical tools, including investment formulas.
Financial Services Sales Agent Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Security, Commodity & Financial Services Sales Agent Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Financial Services Sales Agent Behavioral Interview Questions
- How would you define excellent customer service? Can you give me an example of a time you provided excellent customer service?
- Tell me about a time you had to make a decision quickly.
- How would you describe your sales approach? What works well for you? Can you give me an example?
- Give me an example of a time you thought outside of the box to close a sale.
- What strategies do you use to stay up to date on your target markets?
- Describe the hardest deal you ever had to close as a financial services sales agent.
- Tell me how you deal with customer objections. Can you give me an example?
- Give me an example of how you plan, organize, and prioritize a typical workday.
- Tell me about a time you made a mistake. What happened? How did you rectify it?
- How often do you meet your sales targets? Do you know your average percentage of targets met?