Airline & Commercial Pilot Interview Questions & Answers
Airline pilots and commercial pilots fly and navigate airplanes, helicopters, and other aircraft.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Airline & Commercial Pilot positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Pilots must speak clearly when conveying information to air traffic controllers and other crew members. They must also listen carefully for instructions.
Why interviewers are interested in your observational skills:
Pilots regularly watch over screens, gauges, and dials to make sure that all systems are in working order. They also need to maintain situational awareness by looking for other aircraft or obstacles. Pilots must be able to see clearly, be able to judge the distance between objects, and possess good color vision.
Why interviewers are interested in your problem-solving skills:
Pilots must be able to identify complex problems and figure out appropriate solutions. When a plane encounters turbulence, for example, pilots assess the weather conditions and request a change in route or altitude from air traffic control.
Quick reaction time
Why interviewers are interested in your reaction time:
Pilots must respond quickly and with good judgment to any impending danger.
Airline & Commercial Pilot Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Airline & Commercial Pilot Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Airline & Commercial Pilot Behavioral Interview Questions
- Describe a time you had to make a decision quickly while on a flight. What happened?
- Which skills do you think are important for an airline and a commercial pilot? How do you use these skills in your work?
- Tell me about a time you had to deviate from a flight plan. Walk me through your thought process.
- What is the hardest decision you have had to make in your career so far?
- How do you define and evaluate success as an airline or commercial pilot?
- What do you consider the greatest accomplishment in your career? Why?
- Tell me about a rewarding teamwork experience. What was your contribution to the success?
- What is the most difficult decision you have had to make during a flight?