Bus Driver & Passenger Vehicle Driver Interview Questions & Answers
A bus driver, passenger vehicle driver, and public transportation operator operate buses, taxis, and other modes of transportation to take people from place to place.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Customer service skills
- Hand-eye coordination
- Physical health
- Hearing ability
- Visual ability
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Bus Driver & Public Transportation Operator positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your customer-service skills:
Drivers regularly interact with passengers and must be courteous and helpful.
Why interviewers are interested in your dependability:
Customers rely on passenger vehicle drivers to pick them up on time and safely transport them to their destination.
Why interviewers are interested in your hand-eye coordination:
Drivers must watch their surroundings and avoid obstacles and other hazards while operating a vehicle. Federal regulations require bus drivers to have normal use of their arms and legs.
Why interviewers are interested in your hearing ability:
Passenger vehicle drivers need good hearing. Federal regulations require bus drivers to have the ability to hear a forced whisper in one ear at 5 feet, with or without the use of a hearing aid.
Why interviewers are interested in your patience:
Drivers must remain calm and composed when driving through heavy traffic and congestion or when dealing with rude passengers.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical health:
Some medical conditions, such as high blood pressure or epilepsy, may interfere with the safe operation of passenger vehicles.
Why interviewers are interested in your visual ability:
Passenger vehicle drivers must be able to pass vision tests. Federal regulations require bus drivers to have at least 20/40 vision with a 70-degree field of vision in each eye and the ability to distinguish colors on a traffic light.
Bus Driver & Passenger Vehicle Driver Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Bus Driver & Passenger Vehicle Driver Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Bus Driver & Passenger Vehicle Driver Behavioral Interview Questions
- Which skills do you think are important for a bus driver or public transportation operator? Can you tell me how you use these skills in your daily work?
- How do you ensure that your stops and schedules are regular and on time? Can you give me an example?
- Imagine you got into an accident. What would you do in such a situation?
- How do you deliver essential care and services to the elderly and other vulnerable people you drive?
- Tell me about a time you had to work under pressure. How did you handle the situation?
- How do you ensure safety and health in the work environment?
- Describe a stressful situation. How did you deal with it?
- Tell me about a time you demonstrated flexibility and adaptability at work.
- How would you handle a situation where a passenger refuses to follow your instructions? Can you give me an example?