Delivery Driver Interview Questions & Answers
Delivery truck drivers and driver/sales workers pick up, transport, and drop off packages and small shipments within a local region or urban area.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Customer-service skills
- Sales skills
- Math skills
- Hand-eye coordination
- Visual ability
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Delivery Truck Driver positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your customer-service skills:
When completing deliveries, drivers often interact with customers and should make a good impression to ensure repeat business.
Learn more about customer-service interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in your hand-eye coordination:
Drivers need to observe their surroundings at all times while operating a vehicle.
Why interviewers are interested in your math skills:
Because delivery truck drivers and driver/sales workers sometimes take payment, they must be able to count cash and make changes quickly and accurately.
Why interviewers are interested in your patience:
When driving through heavy traffic congestion, delivery drivers must remain calm and composed.
Why interviewers are interested in your sales skills:
Driver/sales workers are expected to persuade customers to purchase new or different products.
Why interviewers are interested in your visual ability:
To have a driver’s license, delivery truck drivers and driver/sales workers must be able to pass a state vision test.
Delivery Driver Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Delivery Truck Driver Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Delivery Driver Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- How would you define great customer service? Can you tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer?
- What is your approach to stay focused when you’re on the road for longer periods of time?
- Give me an example of a time you assisted a customer who was unhappy with their delivery.
- How do you ensure good communication with schedulers and dispatchers?
- Describe a time you made a mistake as a delivery driver. What happened? How did you rectify the situation?
- Give me an example of a time you used your time management skills to deliver a package on time.
- What is your strategy to ensure that all orders are complete and delivered on time?
- Which skills do you think are important for a delivery driver? How do you use these skills in your daily work?
- What would you do if you got stuck in traffic while you were in the middle of a time-critical delivery?
- How do you deal with a situation where a client is not home, but you need a signature to deliver the package?
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.