Architects Interview Questions & Answers
Architects plan and design houses, factories, office buildings, and other structures.
Interviewers look for candidates who demonstrate excellent analytics skills but also communication, creative, organizational, and technical skills.
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for architect positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills that you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why the interviewer is interested in your analytical skills:
Architects must understand the content of designs and the context in which they were created. For example, architects must understand the locations of mechanical systems and how those systems affect building operations.
Related: What Does a Principal Architect Do?
Why the interviewer is interested in your communication skills:
Architects share their ideas, both in oral presentations and in writing, with clients, other architects, and workers who help prepare drawings. Many also give presentations to explain their ideas and designs.
Learn more about communication skills interview questions and how to answer them!
Why the interviewer is interested in your creative skills:
Architects design the overall look of houses, buildings, and other structures. They must ensure that the final product is both attractive and functional.
Learn more about creative thinking skills interview questions and how to answer them!
Why the interviewer is interested in your organizational skills:
Architects often manage contracts. Therefore, they must keep records related to the details of a project, including total cost, materials used, and progress.
Why the interviewer is interested in your technical skills:
Architects need to use CADD technology to create plans as part of building information modeling (BIM).
Why the interviewer is interested in your visualization skills:
Architects must be able to envision how the parts of a structure relate to each other. They also must be able to visualize how the overall building will look once completed.
Architects Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- Are you LEED accredited or planning to be?
- How developed are your AutoCAD [or any other skill] skills?
- Are you licensed? Do you plan to be? If so, when?
- Tell me about a time you had to deliver a project under time pressure?
- In your experience, what are the key factors for great designs?
- Walk me through your portfolio and work experience.
- Describe a situation in which you had to negotiate a situation with a construction manager.
- Tell me about a successful project. What made it a success?
- If a client insists on including a feature that could negatively impact the environment, how would you go about persuading him or her to consider another option?
- What do you think of the current trends in architecture? How do you foresee these trends developing in the future?
- Would you say you have a personal style to design buildings? How would you describe your style?
- What is your favorite architecture, and why?
- Tell me about a time you failed. What happened, and why?
- Tell me how you plan, organize, and prioritize your work.
- Give me an example of a project that you worked on that demonstrates your ability to manage time effectively. What challenges did you encounter, and what results did you get?
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.