Industrial Engineers Interview Questions & Answers
Industrial engineers devise efficient systems that integrate workers, machines, materials, information, and energy to make a product or provide a service.
Interviewers look for candidates who demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Math skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Speaking skills
- Listening skills
- Critical-thinking skills
- Creative-thinking skills
- Writing skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for industrial engineers’ positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills that you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why the interviewer is interested in your creative skills:
Industrial engineers use creativity and ingenuity to design new production processes in many kinds of settings in order to reduce the use of material resources, time, or labor while accomplishing the same goal.
Why the interviewer is interested in your critical-thinking skills:
Industrial engineers create new systems to solve problems related to waste and inefficiency. Solving these problems requires logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to the problems.
Why the interviewer is interested in your listening skills:
These engineers often operate in teams, but they also must solicit feedback from customers, vendors, and production staff. They must listen to customers and clients in order to fully grasp ideas and problems.
Why the interviewer is interested in your math skills:
Industrial engineers use the principles of calculus, trigonometry, and other advanced topics in mathematics for analysis, design, and troubleshooting in their work.
Why the interviewer is interested in your problem-solving skills:
In designing facilities for manufacturing and processes for providing services, these engineers deal with several issues at once, from workers’ safety to quality assurance.
Why the interviewer is interested in your speaking skills:
Industrial engineers sometimes have to explain their instructions to production staff or technicians before they can make written instructions available. Being able to explain concepts clearly and quickly is crucial to preventing costly mistakes and loss of time.
Why the interviewer is interested in your writing skills:
Industrial engineers must prepare documentation for other engineers or scientists, or for future reference. The documentation must be coherent and explain their thinking clearly so that the others can understand the information.
Industrial Engineers Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Behavioral Interview Questions
- Explain to me how you manage large amounts of data and information.
- What is your biggest accomplishment?
- Tell me about a time you were involved in streamlining processes to make them more efficient and effective.
- Describe a time you faced an obstacle while working on an industrial engineering project. How did you solve this challenge?
- Tell me about a rewarding teamwork experience as an industrial engineer.
- Tell me about your math skills. Where are your greatest strengths in math?
- What problems have you solved to improve the quality of your production in your current (or last) position?
- Tell me about your understanding and application of process analysis.
- Describe a time when you successfully shared a difficult piece of information.
- What’s your specialty as an industrial engineer?
- Tell me about some of the projects that you have worked on. How did your involvement affect the outcome?
- What is your understanding of ‘X’?
- Do you consider yourself a strong critical-thinker? Can you give me an example?
- What have you done to improve your knowledge in the last year?
- Tell me about a time when you successfully made a work situation safer.