Mechanical Engineering Technicians Interview Questions & Answers
Mechanical engineering technicians help mechanical engineers design, develop, test, and manufacture mechanical devices.
Interviewers look for candidates who demonstrate excellent skills such as:
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for mechanical engineering technicians positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills that you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why the interviewer is interested in your communication skills:
Mechanical engineering technicians must be able to clearly understand and follow instructions or ask their supervisors for clarification if they do not understand. They must be able to clearly explain, both orally and in writing, the need for changes in designs or test procedures.
Why the interviewer is interested in your creative-thinking skills:
Mechanical engineering technicians help mechanical engineers bring their plans and designs to life. This often requires helping the engineer to overcome problems that might not have been anticipated.
Why the interviewer is interested in your attention to detail:
Mechanical engineering technicians must make precise measurements and keep accurate records for mechanical engineers.
Why the interviewer is interested in your math skills:
Mechanical engineering technicians use mathematics for analysis, design, and troubleshooting in their work.
Why the interviewer is interested in your mechanical skills:
Mechanical engineering technicians must apply theory and instructions from engineers by making new components for industrial machinery or equipment. They may need to be able to operate machineries such as drill presses, grinders, and engine lathes.
Related: What Does a CNC Technician Do?
Mechanical Engineering Technicians Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Behavioral Interview Questions
- Tell me about the most recent project you have worked on.
- Tell me about a rewarding teamwork experience as a mechanical engineering technician.
- Describe a time when you thought outside of the box to solve a problem.
- What methods do you use in your work to ensure that equipment meets the required specifications?
- Tell me about your math skills. Where are your greatest strengths in math?
- Describe a time when you successfully learned how to handle a new piece of equipment.
- What did you do in the last year to improve your knowledge as a mechanical engineering technician?
- How do you prevent ‘X’ from happening when designing, testing, or manufacturing a new mechanical device?
- What’s your specialty as a mechanical engineer?
- Tell me about the most challenging project you have worked on.