Janitor and Building Cleaner Interview Questions & Answers
Janitors and building cleaners keep many types of buildings clean, orderly, and in good condition.
Interviewers look for candidates who demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Mechanical skills
- Time-management skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Physical stamina
- Physical strength
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for janitor and building cleaner positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills that you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why the interviewer is interested in your interpersonal skills:
Janitors and building cleaners should get along well with their supervisors, other cleaners, and the people who live or work in the buildings they clean.
Learn more about communication interview questions and how to answer them!
Why the interviewer is interested in your mechanical skills:
Janitors and building cleaners should understand general building operations. They should be able to make routine repairs, such as repairing leaky faucets.
Why the interviewer is interested in your physical stamina:
Janitors and building cleaners spend most of their workday on their feet, operating cleaning equipment and lifting and moving supplies or tools. As a result, they should have good physical stamina.
Why the interviewer is interested in your physical strength:
Janitors and building cleaners often must lift and move cleaning materials and heavy equipment. Cases of liquid cleaner and trash receptacles, for example, can be very heavy, so workers should be strong enough to lift them without injuring their back.
Why the interviewer is interested in your time-management skills:
Janitors and building cleaners should be able to plan and complete tasks in a timely manner.
Learn more about time-management interview questions and how to answer them!
Janitor and Building Cleaner Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Janitor and Building Cleaner Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Janitor and Building Cleaner Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- Tell me more about your experience with making basic equipment repairs.
- Describe a time you handled a customer complaint. How did you respond to the situation?
- Walk me through your relevant work experience as a janitor or building cleaner.
- What cleaning duties do you expect to handle on a daily basis in this position?
- What qualities do you have that would help you on the job?
- Tell me about a time you made a mistake on the job. What did you learn from it?
- What weekly duties do you expect to perform in this position?
- Tell me about a time you had to solve a problem on your own because your supervisor was not around.
- What precautions are needed for (or to avoid) ‘X’?
- How would you rate your ‘(insert specific skill required for the job)’ skills?
- What type of actions would you take if you noticed a problem that required major repairs?
- Tell me about a frustrating experience as a janitor (or building cleaner)?
- Tell me about a time someone criticized your work. How did you handle it?
- What type of machinery do you have work experience with?
- How do you handle being around the general public while you’re cleaning or performing other cleaning jobs?
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.