Dental Assistant Interview Questions & Answers
Dental assistants provide patient care, take x rays, keep records, and schedule appointments.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Dental Assistant positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Dental assistants must follow specific rules and protocols, such as infection control procedures when helping dentists treat patients.
Why interviewers are interested in your dexterity:
Dental assistants must be good at working with their hands. They generally work in tight spaces on a small part of the body, using precise tools and instruments.
Why interviewers are interested in your interpersonal skills:
Dental assistants work closely with dentists. They also must be considerate in working with patients who are sensitive to pain or have a fear of undergoing dental treatment.
Why interviewers are interested in your listening skills:
Dental assistants must pay attention to patients and other healthcare workers. They need to follow directions from a dentist or dental hygienist so they can help treat patients and do tasks, such as taking x rays.
Why interviewers are interested in your organizational skills:
Dental assistants should have excellent organizational skills. They need to have the correct tools in place for a dentist or dental hygienist to use when treating a patient, and they need to maintain patient schedules and office records.
Dental Assistant Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Dental Assistant Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Dental Assistant Behavioral Interview Questions
- Describe the main responsibilities of a dental assistant.
- How often should you sterilize equipment and dental instruments?
- What precautions do you take before you use x-ray equipment?
- Tell me about your work experience with (specific) lab tasks?
- Describe a time you had to deal with a patient who panicked once you were getting them ready for their treatment. How did you deal with this situation?
- Does your approach towards children differ from the one towards adults or seniors?
- Tell me about the software you have experience working with.
- Have you ever had a disagreement with another assistant or with a supervisor? What happened, and how did you resolve it?
- Describe to me how you explain dental procedures to a patient. Can you give me an example?
- Describe a time you had to deal with an angry, upset, or scared patient.
- Walk me through your experience and approach to create and maintain patient records.