Dental Hygienist Interview Questions & Answers
Dental hygienists examine patients for signs of oral diseases, such as gingivitis, and provide preventive care, including oral hygiene.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for dental hygienist positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Critical thinking skills
Why interviewers are interested in your critical thinking skills:
Dental hygienists must be able to assess and evaluate patients and develop oral hygiene care plans.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Dental hygienists must share information with dentists and patients about oral health status, oral hygiene care plans, and, if necessary, lifestyle counseling.
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Dental hygienists must follow specific rules and protocols to help dentists diagnose and treat a patient. Depending on the state in which they work and/or the treatment provided, dental hygienists may work without the direct supervision of a dentist.
Why interviewers are interested in your dexterity:
Dental hygienists must be good at working with their hands. They generally work in tight spaces on a small part of the body, which requires fine motor skills using precise tools and instruments.
Why interviewers are interested in your interpersonal skills:
Dental hygienists work closely with dentists. They also must be considerate in working with patients, especially with those who are sensitive to pain or who have fears about undergoing dental treatment.
Why interviewers are interested in your problem-solving skills:
Dental hygienists develop and implement oral hygiene care plans to maintain or improve patients’ oral health.
Dental Hygienist Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Dental Hygienist Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Dental Hygienist Behavioral Interview Questions
- What is your experience with sharing information with dentists and patients about oral health status, oral hygiene care plans, and, if necessary, lifestyle counseling?
- Tell me about the most difficult situation you have encountered working as a dental hygienist. What made it difficult? How did you resolve it?
- Describe a time you had to calm down and comfort an anxious or fearful patient.
- How comfortable are you with discussing and educating patients about dental care at home and proper oral care habits?
- Have you developed and implemented oral hygiene care plans to maintain or improve patients’ oral health in the past? Can you walk me through your experience?
- Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a patient/colleague/supervisor. What happened, and how did you resolve the situation?
- Walk me through your work experience running and interpreting diagnostic tests performed on patients.
- What do you consider the main responsibilities of working as a dental hygienist in our practice?
- How would you handle a situation where a patient was not satisfied with his or her treatment? Can you give me an example?
- What experience do you have using x-ray equipment? Can you walk me through the safety procedure before performing x-ray scans?