Genetic Counselor Interview Questions & Answers
Genetic counselors assess individual or family risk for various inherited conditions, such as genetic disorders and congenital disabilities.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Critical-thinking skills
- Decision-making skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for genetic counselor positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Genetic counselors must be able to simplify complex findings so that their patients understand them.
Learn more about communication interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in how compassionate you are:
Patients may seek advice on family care or serious illnesses. Genetic counselors must be sensitive and compassionate when communicating their findings.
Why interviewers are interested in your critical-thinking skills:
Genetic counselors analyze laboratory findings to determine how best to advise a patient or family. They use their applied knowledge of genetics to assess inherited risks properly.
Why interviewers are interested in your decision-making skills:
Genetic counselors must use their expertise and experience to determine how to share their findings properly with patients.
Genetic Counselor Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Genetic Counselor Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Genetic Counselor Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- Tell me how you simplify complex findings so that their patients understand them. Can you give me an example?
- What types of genetic testing are you most familiar with?
- Give me an example of how you analyzed information and evaluated the results to develop the best solution to a problem.
- How do you use your expertise and experience to determine how to share your findings properly with your patients?
- Tell me how you plan, organize, and prioritize your workdays.
- Describe a successful teamwork experience. What made it a success?
- What is your experience with analyzing laboratory findings to determine how best to advise a patient or family? Can you give me an example?
- Give me an example of a time you had to collect information from multiple sources. How did you determine which information was relevant to that specific situation?
- Tell me about a time you failed. What happened, and why?
- Do you consider yourself a strong critical-thinker? Can you give me an example?
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.