Nursing Assistant & Orderly Interview Questions & Answers
Nursing assistants provide basic care and help patients with activities of daily living: orderlies transport patients and clean treatment areas.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Physical stamina
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Nursing Assistant & Orderly positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Nursing assistants and orderlies must listen and respond to patients’ concerns. They also need to share information with other healthcare workers.
Why interviewers are interested in how compassionate you are:
Nursing assistants and orderlies help and care for people who are sick, injured or need aid for other reasons. They need an empathetic attitude to do their work.
Why interviewers are interested in how patient you are:
The routine tasks of cleaning, feeding, and bathing patients may be stressful. Nursing assistants and orderlies must be able to complete these tasks with professionalism.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical stamina:
Nursing assistants and orderlies spend much of their time on their feet. They must be able to perform tasks such as lifting or moving patients.
Nursing Assistant & Orderly Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Nursing Assistant & Orderly Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Nursing Assistant & Orderly Behavioral Interview Questions
- Walk me through your process of how you sanitize medical equipment properly as an orderly.
- Give me an example of how you move a frail patient from a wheelchair into a bed.
- Describe a time when you had to deal with a challenging patient. What happened, and how did you deal with it?
- Tell me about a time when you successfully assisted a colleague or supervisor.
- Describe an experience you had in dealing with a difficult patient. What made it difficult?
- Based on your experience, what is the best way to assist a bedridden patient with oral hygiene?
- Walk me through the process of how you ensure a safe movement of a patient from a gurney to a bed.
- What would you do if you saw a colleague yelling at a patient?
- How would you respond to an aggressive patient? Have you dealt with such a situation before? If so, what did you do?
- What would you do if a patient refused necessary care?