Optician Interview Questions & Answers
Opticians help fit eyeglasses and contact lenses, following prescriptions from ophthalmologists and optometrists.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Optician positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your business skills:
Opticians are often responsible for the business aspects of running an optical store. They should be comfortable making decisions and have some knowledge of sales and inventory management.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Opticians must listen closely to what customers want. They must clearly explain options and instructions for care in ways that customers understand.
Why interviewers are interested in your customer-service skills:
Because some opticians work in stores, they must answer questions and know about the products they sell. They interact with customers on a personal level, fitting eyeglasses, or contact lenses. To succeed, they must be friendly, courteous, patient, and helpful to customers.
Why interviewers are interested in your decision-making skills:
Opticians must determine what adjustments need to be made to eyeglasses and contact lenses. They must decide which materials and styles are most appropriate for each customer based on their preferences and lifestyle.
Why interviewers are interested in your dexterity:
Opticians frequently use special tools to make final adjustments and repairs to eyeglasses. They must have a good hand-eye coordination to do that work quickly and accurately.
Optician Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Optician Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Optician Behavioral Interview Questions
- How would you define great customer service? Give me an example of a recent situation in which you provided excellent customer service.
- How would you rate your communication skills? Can you give an example of how you clearly explain options and instructions for care in ways that customers understand?
- What is your approach to finding the perfect frame for a customer?
- How would you handle a situation with a client that is unsure about whether they should use contact lenses or glasses?
- Do you consider yourself a strong decision-maker? Can you give me an example?
- How do you deal with conflict in the workplace? Can you give me an example of how you resolved a conflict?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with an unhappy client. What happened, and how did you solve it?
- What current trends or developments are you most excited about and why?
- Tell me about a time you had to work under time-pressure. How did you deal with it?
- What do you consider your greatest accomplishment in your career as an optician?