Optometrist Interview Questions & Answers
Optometrists diagnose and treat visual problems and manage diseases, injuries, and other disorders of the eyes.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Interpersonal skills
- Decision-making skills
- Attention detail
- Speaking skills
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for optometrist positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your decision-making skills:
Optometrists must evaluate the results of various diagnostic tests and decide on the best treatment course for a patient.
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Optometrists must ensure that patients receive appropriate treatment and that medications and prescriptions are accurate. They must also monitor and record various pieces of information related to patient care.
Why interviewers are interested in your interpersonal skills:
Optometrists spend most of their time examining patients, so they must be at ease interacting with patients and must make them feel comfortable during treatment.
Why interviewers are interested in your speaking skills:
Optometrists must clearly explain eye care instructions to their patients, as well as answer patients’ questions.
Optometrist Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Optometrist Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Optometrist Behavioral Interview Questions
- How would you rate your interpersonal skills? Can you give an example of how you interact with patients and how you make them feel comfortable during treatment?
- Walk me through how you evaluate various diagnostic tests’ results and decide on the best course of treatment for a patient.
- Give me an example of how you monitor and record various pieces of information related to patient care.
- Tell me about a time you had to communicate bad news to a patient. How did you approach and handle this situation?
- Give me an example of how you explain important techniques to maintain healthy eyesight to a patient.
- Tell me about a time you went above and beyond to provide a patient with the right care.
- How do you clearly explain eye care instructions to your patients? Can you give me an example?
- Give me an example of how you adjust your treatment procedure for new patients.
- What do you consider your greatest achievement as an optometrist? Why?
- What’s your specialty as an optometrist? Can you give me some examples?