Pharmacist Interview Questions & Answers
Pharmacists dispense prescription medications to patients and offer expertise in the safe use of prescriptions.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Pharmacist positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your analytical skills:
Pharmacists must provide safe medications efficiently. To do this, they must be able to evaluate a patient’s needs and the prescriber’s orders and have extensive knowledge of the effects and appropriate circumstances for giving out a specific medication.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Pharmacists frequently offer advice to patients. They might need to explain how to take medicine, for example, and what its side effects are. They also need to offer clear direction to pharmacy technicians and interns.
Why interviewers are interested in your computer skills:
Pharmacists need computer skills in order to use any electronic health record (EHR) systems that their organization has adopted.
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Pharmacists are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the prescriptions they fill. They must be able to find the information that they need to make decisions about what medications are appropriate for each patient because improper use of medication can pose serious health risks.
Why interviewers are interested in your management skills:
Pharmacists—particularly those who run a retail pharmacy—must have good managerial skills, including the ability to manage inventory and oversee a staff.
Pharmacist Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Pharmacist Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Examples Of Specific Pharmacist Behavioral Interview Questions
- Give me an example of a situation that demonstrates that you’re experienced in managing inventory and oversee a staff.
- Tell me about a time you faced a challenging situation at work and how you handled it.
- Give me an example of how you educate your patients in managing their prescribed medication.
- Can you tell me how you simplify complex medical treatment information and procedures to patients?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with an unhappy patient? What happened and how did you solve it?
- If you have to work with a large number of patients it’s challenging to provide excellent service to everyone. Tell me how you plan, organize, and prioritize their needs.
- Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a patient or colleague.
- How do you handle pressure? Can you give me an example?
- What accomplishment are you most proud of? Why?
- Tell me how you stay up to date with new drugs and trends and developments? Can you give me an example of what you did to improve your knowledge last year?