Pharmacy Technician Interview Questions & Answers
Pharmacy technicians help pharmacists dispense prescription medication to customers or health professionals.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Customer-service skills
- Organizational skills
- Listening skills
- Math skills
- Attention to detail
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Pharmacy Technician positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your customer-service skills:
Pharmacy technicians spend much of their time interacting with customers, so being helpful and polite is required of pharmacy technicians in a retail setting.
Learn more about customer-service interview questions and how to answer them!
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Serious health problems can result from mistakes in filling prescriptions. Although the pharmacist is responsible for ensuring the safety of all medications dispensed, pharmacy technicians should pay attention to detail so that complications are avoided.
Why interviewers are interested in your listening skills:
Pharmacy technicians must communicate clearly with pharmacists and doctors when taking prescription orders. When speaking with customers, technicians must listen carefully to understand customers’ needs and determine if they need to speak with a pharmacist.
Why interviewers are interested in your math skills:
Pharmacy technicians need to have an understanding of the math concepts used in pharmacies when counting pills and compounding medications.
Why interviewers are interested in your organizational skills:
Working as a pharmacy technician involves balancing a variety of responsibilities. Pharmacy technicians need good organizational skills to complete the work delegated by pharmacists while at the same time providing service to customers or patients.
Learn more about organizational interview questions and how to answer them!
Pharmacy Technician Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Pharmacy Technician Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Pharmacy Technician Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- Describe a situation when you went above and beyond of what was expected of you as a pharmacy technician.
- What would you do if you could not read the prescription properly?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with an angry or frustrated patient. What happened, and how did you solve it?
- How would you rate your customer service skills? Can you give me a recent example of how you provided excellent customer service?
- Give me an example of a work situation that demonstrates your organizational skills.
- Walk me through the steps you take for a standard procedure for filling a prescription.
- What have you done in the last year to stay up to date with new medications, practices, and other developments within the pharmacy industry?
- Tell me how you plan, organize, and prioritize your workday.
- Give me an example that demonstrates that you are able to work and perform with strict deadlines.
- What steps would you take if you suspect a patient of having a drug-seeker or other problematic behavior?
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.