Physician & Surgeon Interview Questions & Answers
Physicians and surgeons diagnose and treat injuries or illnesses.
Interviewers look for candidates that demonstrate excellent skills such as:
- Communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Physical stamina
In this blog, we discuss commonly asked interview questions during job interviews for Physician & Surgeon positions. We also discuss the qualities that interviewers look for in successful candidates. In other words, we’re here to help you out!
Also, read more about frequently asked job interview questions here and check our job interview preparation checklist.
Skills Interviewers Look For In Successful Candidates
Below we discuss the skills you can highlight in your answers to demonstrate that you’re qualified for the job.
Why interviewers are interested in your communication skills:
Physicians and surgeons need to be excellent communicators. They must communicate effectively with their patients and other healthcare support staff.
Learn more about communication interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in how compassionate you are:
Patients who are sick or injured may be in extreme pain or distress. Physicians and surgeons must treat patients and their families with compassion and understanding.
Attention to detail
Why interviewers are interested in your attention to detail:
Patients must receive appropriate treatment and medications. Physicians and surgeons must accurately monitor and record various pieces of information related to patient care.
Why interviewers are interested in your dexterity:
Physicians and surgeons may work with very precise and sometimes sharp tools, and mistakes can have serious consequences.
Why interviewers are interested in your leadership skills:
Physicians who work in their own practice must manage a staff of other professionals.
Learn more about leadership interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in your organizational skills:
Good recordkeeping and other organizational skills are critical in both medical and business settings.
Learn more about organizational interview questions and how to answer them!
Why interviewers are interested in how patient you are:
Physicians and surgeons may work for long periods with patients who need special attention. Persons who fear medical treatment may require more patience.
Why interviewers are interested in your physical stamina:
Physicians and surgeons should be comfortable lifting or turning disabled patients or performing other physical tasks. Surgeons may spend a great deal of time bending over patients during surgery.
Why interviewers are interested in your problem-solving skills:
Physicians and surgeons need to evaluate patients’ symptoms and administer the appropriate treatments. They need to do this quickly if a patient’s life is threatened.
Learn more about communication problem-solving questions and how to answer them!
Physician & Surgeon Job Interview Questions & Answers
During a job interview, the hiring manager wants to discuss several things. Think of your:
- Employment history
- Skills and abilities
- Job qualifications
- Educational background
- Career goals
Below you find a list of commonly asked interview questions.
Examples Of General Physician & Surgeon Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What interests you about this position?
- Walk me through your resume.
- What motivates you?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What is your greatest strength?
- How does your experience qualify you for this job?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Tell me about a challenging work situation and how you overcame it.
- What are your expectations for this position?
- What are your career goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- What did you like most about your last position?
- What did you like least about your last position?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
Learn how to answer these common job interview questions!
Examples Of Specific Physician & Surgeon Behavioral Interview Questions
Learn more about answering behavioral interview questions by using the STAR interview technique.
- What is your approach to effective communication with their patients and other healthcare support staff?
- Tell me about the most difficult decision you had to take in your career. What made it so hard? What did you learn from it?
- Describe the skills that you think a good physician or surgeon should possess. Can you give an example of how you have successfully used these skills?
- What do you consider the highlight of your career as a physician or surgeon so far? What is your greatest accomplishment?
- Tell me about what type of surgery is your favorite to perform?
- How would you handle a situation where you and a coworker disagree on the best method to address a patient’s condition?
- What did you do in the last year to improve your knowledge in your field?
- What do you consider your specialty as a physician (or surgeon)?
- Describe a time you had a challenging encounter with a patient. What happened, and how did you handle the situation?
- Please describe how you communicate complex medical information to patients and their families.
Learn more about questions to ask the interviewer during your job interview.